To my greatest love

The way her eyes crease against her weathered skin and her smile shines brighter than the rest even when she hasn't gotten a wink of sleep in days. The way that her love never simmers whether or not my mindset of the day is sublime or far from kind. The way she looks more beautiful than the moon that tucks me in at night and the stars that kiss my cheeks as I close my eyes to wake up to the waiting sunrise that is her. The way that she loves me, with her entire heart and soul, ready to drop her life to pick up the falling pieces of mine. To listen to me cry through the nights when things felt as though they were shattering pieces of glass scattered across the cold bathroom floor or laugh until we couldn't laugh anymore at the silliest things that seem to fall at all the right times. When I see pride in her eyes, I can't help feeling accomplished because my built in best friend sees something in me that I can't seem to see in myself. Mom, I love you. I have loved you since my first breath and I will until I take my last whenever that day comes. Thank you for hitting pause so many times in your life so that you could press play in mine. If I had all the money in the world I would buy you all the things that you deserve, but I'm sadly a penniless adolescent trying to find myself in the world and get a penny for my pocket. But I know deep down that to get lost and heartbroken in my life is impossible because you're always the anchor keeping me from sailing away in the rough waves.

xoxo Ankita

Comments

Popular Posts